- Back-end servers do accept outgoing SMTP mail
- Do not do local delivery, pass to inbound MXes instead
- POP3 code must also be modified to know about authentication methods and mailbox format
- All data (mailboxes and sendmail mqueues) stored on NetApp NFS servers
- Mail spool directories hashed and split across multiple NFS servers
Note that this is a statement of the original state of the network.
Later, management wanted to increase the benchmark performance of this system, and the sendmail mqueues were moved to solid-state disks that were attached locally to the respective machines.
This didnít measurably increase the performance from the user perspective, but did significantly improve the performance of the system on certain benchmarks, which was important for certain magazines.