Analysis: Mailbox Directory
- Christenson97 shows that 7th edition mailbox (mbox) format can also be made NFS-friendly, using same trick
- Still have issues with sync. meta-data updates
- Now problem for NFS server vendor?
- Does not solve locking problems with message changes, moves, or deletions
- Mailbox locking not really a problem
In the grand scheme of things, while locking is certainly necessary (and I believe that the POP3 protocol requires mailbox locking), if properly implemented this shouldnít pose that big of a problem.
Switching to message locking seems excessive and unnecessary for POP3 environments, especially since it creates far more synchronous meta-data operations in turn for what it supposedly gives you, and itís synchronous meta-data operations that we most want to eliminate or reduce whenever possible.