Scaling: Future Improvements
- Break mailboxes into component messages
- Replicate messages to at least two servers
- Distribute messages across four or fewer servers
- DoesnÝt help address either disk storage or sync. meta-data issues
- Does address issues of reliability, load-balancing, speed, and perceived quality of service
My co-author believes that once you start mirroring messages or mailboxes to separate servers, you must start doing integrity checks on every read operation, and get into expensive ývotingţ schemes, etcÍ.
My belief is that this is not an integrity issue but more like doing RAID 1 (mirroring) at the filesystem level, and that you can do the same sort of thing ˇ round robin your read operations, or apply them to the least heavily loaded server, etcÍ.